Applications are now opened for Alexander Rutherford Scholarship 2022/2023. This scholarship program was established to honor Alexander Rutherford, Alexander Cameron Rutherford KC (February 2, 1857 – June 11, 1941) was a Canadian lawyer and politician who served as the first premier of Alberta from 1905 to 1910. Born in Ormond, Canada West, he studied and practised law in Ottawa before he moved with his family to the North-West Territories in 1895.
There, he began his political career, winning in his third attempt a seat in the North-West Legislative Assembly. In keeping with the territorial custom, Rutherford ran as an independent but generally supported the territorial administration of Premier Frederick W. A. G. Haultain. At the federal level, however, Rutherford was a Liberal.
After leaving politics, Rutherford continued his law practice and his involvement with a wide range of community groups. Most importantly, he became chancellor of the University of Alberta, whose earlier founding had been a personal project, and stayed in that position until he died of a heart attack. A University of Alberta library, an Edmonton elementary school, and Jasper National Park‘s Mount Rutherford are named in his honour. Additionally, his home, Rutherford House, was opened as a museum in 1973
The scholarship recognizes and rewards Canadian senior high school students who have done well academically and supports them to further their studies. Funded by the Government of Alberta, this scholarship is offered to eligible undergraduates in the province.
Purpose: To recognize and reward academic achievement of senior high school students and encourage them to pursue post-secondary studies.
Alexander Rutherford Scholarship Requirements 2022.
- You must be a Canadian citizen or someone who resides in Canada permanently.
- You must have finished high school before applying.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a full course load in a designated post-secondary or an apprenticeship program of at least one semester in length.
- Your official high school transcript marks must be available at the time of application.
READ ALSO: Dingledine-Bluestone Scholarships
- You are expected to have a valid Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- GED marks are not accepted.
- Previous winners of this scholarship are not eligible to apply again.
- Students without numeric grades should not apply for this Scholarship.
- Make sure you meet the requirements of the courses before you commence your application. You must have an Alberta Student Number (ASN).
- The requirements for the high school transcript marks may vary.
- Visa students are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Open studies or unclassified programs are eligible.
|Application Deadline:||July 31, 2022|
How to apply for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship 2022/2023
- Make sure you are eligible before submitting your application.
- Create an account with Alberta Student Aid using your personal email address and verify your identity (Use the link below)
- If you already have an account, log in to your account and select the Alexander Rutherford High School Achievement Scholarship.
- Fill out the scholarship application form with the required information like SIN, ASN, your high school name, etc.
- Submit the form and Student Aid will verify your grades on your high school transcript.
- If you are eligible for the scholarship, a request will be sent to your post secondary school for confirmation of your enrollment.
- You will be mailed a cheque a month after your school confirms your enrollment. If your institution does not confirm your enrollment within 30 days, you will be given a confirmation form to submit to your school.
If you misplace your cheque, you can contact Alberta Student Aid to request a stop payment and ask for a replacement cheque.
Does everyone get the Alexander Rutherford scholarship?
Not everyone will get a scholarship. A lot of students will be screened out by the scholarship board. Only students who are eligible will be selected and awarded the scholarship.
This scholarship occurs annually and has not been canceled. If you lost your cheque or have any problems with the scholarship, you can contact Alberta Student Aid. Note that you can only get it once and that’s all. Applicants are selected based on their academic achievements and residency.
Is the Alberta Rutherford Scholarship taxable?
No, the Alberta Rutherford scholarship is not taxable. There is no reason for it to enter as taxable income since it supports full-time post-secondary education. Winners of the Rutherford scholarship are given a T4A slip which exempts them from tax. So the scholarship is tax-free.
If you are applying for this scholarship opportunity, make sure you correctly fill out the application form before submission. This doesn’t mean you can’t modify your information if you made a mistake.
Frequently Asked Questions
The status of my application shows that it is waiting for the institution to confirm my enrolment. What does this mean?
Once you have submitted your application for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship, the status of your application will change to indicate that institution approval is required. Alberta Student Aid sends confirmation of enrolment requests to the University of Alberta on a regular basis throughout the academic year.
How long does it take to confirm my enrolment and get my money?
Typically, confirmation of enrolment requests are sent from Alberta Student Aid approximately 1-4 weeks after you have applied for the Rutherford Scholarship. Once the request has been received, it can take up to two weeks for your enrollment to be confirmed. After your enrolment has been confirmed, Alberta Student Aid will be notified and a cheque will be mailed to the home address on your student aid portal within 2-4 weeks. It is important to note that Rutherford Scholarship funds typically will not arrive in time for the Fall tuition deadline so we advise that you make alternate payment arrangements.
I need to make changes to my application. What should I do?
You can make changes to your application or Alberta Student Aid account by logging into your application through your Alberta Student Aid portal or contacting them directly at 1-855-606-2096.
Why can’t I see my Rutherford Scholarship in my Bear Tracks account?
Your Rutherford Scholarship will not appear anywhere on your Bear Tracks account as it is administered through Alberta Student Aid. You can view your record by logging into your Student Aid Portal.