Effect of Administrative Challenges on the Management of Secondary Schools.

Effect of Administrative Challenges on the Management of Secondary Schools.

CHAPTER FOUR

DATA ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION OF RESULTS of Effect of Administrative Challenges on the Management of Secondary Schools.

            This chapter critically analyzed the data collected from the field in the study area. A total of 20 questionnaires were administered to the respondents in their respective schools. The questionnaire was designed to investigate the effect of administrative challenges on the management of secondary schools in Ondo West Local Government Area of Ondo state. The Questionnaires were responded to by the principals, vice principals and guidance counselors. Data collected were gathered for use by the researcher and was analyzed using simple percentage method.

4.1       Research Question Analysis

Research Questions 1: What is the influence of inadequate finance on the management of secondary schools?

Table 1

S/N Items SA(%) A (%) D(%) SD(%)
1 Inadequacy of school infrastructural facilities results in overcrowding making it difficult for learning to take place. 80 20 0 0
2 Some buildings in the school are damages and this affects the teaching learning process 50 30 10 10
3 There are lack of textbooks in many schools and this affects proper learning by students 90 10 0 0
4 There is low supply of infrastructural facilities and the ones available are majorly below standard 40 30 20 10

 

            Table 1 shows that 100% of the respondents agreed that the inadequacy of school infrastructural facilities results in overcrowding making it difficult for learning to take place, 80% of the total number of respondents opined that some buildings in the school are damaged which hinders the learning process while 20% disagreed, 90% of the respondents agreed that the lack of textbooks in the school affects proper learning by students while the remaining 10% are of another opinion. 70% of the respondents agreed that there is a low supply of infrastructural facilities in the school and the ones available are majorly below standard while the remaining 30% were of another opinion.

Research Questions 2: How does inadequate supervision influence the management of secondary schools?

Table 2

S/N Items SA(%) A (%) D(%) SD(%)
1 Management of secondary schools is enhanced through proper timely supervision and correction of school staffs by these supervisors 35 65 0 0
2 Identification of needs is made possible through effective supervision 75 10 10 5
3 Proper supervision ensures monitoring of students activities helps in curbing indiscipline 55 20 10 5
4 When there is inadequate supervision, some of the school staffs tend to exhibit laziness 100 0 0 0

 

            Table 2 above shows that 100% of the respondents agreed that management of secondary schools is enhanced through proper timely supervision and correction of school staffs, 85% of the respondents are of the opinion that the identification of needs is made possible through effective supervision while the remaining 15% do not agree to that, 75% of the respondents agreed that proper supervision ensures monitoring of students activities which helps in curbing indiscipline but the remaining 25% kicked against that, 100% of the respondents opined that when there is inadequate supervision some of the school staffs tend to exhibit laziness.

Research Questions 3: How does inadequate staffing influence the management of secondary schools?

Table 3

S/N Items SA(%) A (%) D(%) SD(%)
1 Inadequacy of staffs affects students academic development 100 0 0 0
2 Teachers tends to overwork themselves when there is inadequate staffing in the school system 100 0 0 0
3 Inadequate staffing affects proper delivering of subject content 100 0 0 0
4 Some principals are made to combine their administrative duties with teaching due to inadequacy of teachers 65 30 0 5

 

Table 3 shows that 100% of the respondents agreed that the inadequacy of staffs affects students academic development, 100% of the respondents are of the opinion that teachers tend to overwork themselves when there is inadequate staffing, 100% of the respondents  agreed that inadequate staffing affects proper delivery of subject content. 95% of the total number of respondents agreed that some of their principals are made to combine their administrative duties to due to inadequacy of teachers while the remaining 5% are of another opinion.

Research Questions 4: What is the influence of inadequate infrastructural facilities on the management of secondary school?

Table 4

S/N Items SA(%) A (%) D(%) SD(%)
1 Inadequacy of school infrastructural facilities results in overcrowding making it difficult for learning to take place. 85 15 0 0
2 Some buildings in the school are damaged and this affects the teaching learning process 50 30 15 5
3 There are lack of textbooks in many schools and this affects proper learning by students 90 10 0 0
4 There is low supply of infrastructural facilities and the ones available are majorly below standard 40 30 20 10

 

Table 4 above 100% of the total number of respondents agreed that the inadequacy of school infrastructural facilities results in overcrowding eventually making learning to take place. Some buildings in the some of the school are damaged and this affects the learning process, 80% of the total number of respondents agreed to that while the remaining 20% did not agree to that, the totality of the respondents agreed that there are lack of textbooks i many schools and this affects proper learning by students, 70% of the schools agreed that there is a low supply of infrastructural facilities but the remaining 30% did not agree to that.

READ ALSO: Effects of Electromagnetic Field on Human Health

Research Questions 5: How does of lack of information and communication technology facilities affect the management of secondary schools?

Table 5

S/N Items SA(%) A (%) D(%) SD(%)
1 Use of Information Communication Technology enables proper planning and organizing 100 0 0 0
2 Information Communication Technology provides proper management practices 75 5 15 5
3 Unavailability of Information Communication Technology facilities in secondary schools affect the quality of students 40 30 20 10
4 Information Communication Technology enhances the professional development of teachers through digitalized libraries, internet resources and so on to keep them abreast of new knowledge. 80 20 0 0

 

Table 5 above talks about the effect of Information Communication Technology on the administration of schools, in item 1 100% of the total number of respondents agreed that the use Information Communication Technology enables proper planning and organizing, 80% of the respondents are of the opinion that Information Communication Technology provides proper management practices for the school administrators while the remaining 20% did not agree to that, 30% of the total number of respondents disagreed that the unavailability if Information Communication Technology facilities in secondary schools affect the quality of students while 70% agreed to that. In item 4, 100% of the total number of respondents agreed that Information Communication Technology enhances the professional development of teachers through digitized libraries, internet resources and so on to keep them abreast of new knowledge.

 

4.2       Discussion of Findings of Effect of Administrative Challenges on the Management of Secondary Schools.

The data presentation in table 1 indicates that financial inadequacy impedes effective secondary schools management. Inadequate finance hinder effective implementation of school programmes. One of the major functions of the school head is to design school programmes and when these programmes are drafted finance is needed for its effective implementation. These findings are in consonance with the reports of Ige (2013) and Abdulrasheed and Bello (2015) that inadequate finance inhibits effective administration within the school system.

In Table two, the respondents agreed that proper supervision ensures monitoring of the students activities and curbing indiscipline at the same time, when the students are adequate monitored, corrections can be made on behaviours that do not conform to the rules and regulations of the school, effective supervision also ensures proper delivery on the part of the teachers, it enables the teachers to buckle up and deliver their duties efficiently. Supervision also helps in exposing the needs of various departments in the school and the school as a whole, the identification of these needs will lead the procurement of new ones to replace the old ones or fill the vacant spaces. The above finding shows that effective supervision is one of the major determinants of effectiveness within the school system, this findings is in correlation with the findings of Akomolafe (2012).

Table three shows that inadequate staffing has a major influence in the management of secondary schools, it reveals that inadequate staffing hinders the schools management, respondents agreed that the inadequacy of staffs leads to poor academic development of students in secondary schools, teacher overworking themselves and school heads like the principal and the vice principals performing duties not assigned to them. Inadequate staffing serves as one of the major causes of large classes which makes students not be given adequate attention, these findings are in support of the report by Iwu and Iwu (2013).

From table four, the results showed that the respondents which comprised of principals, vice principals and guidance counselors agreed that inadequacy of infrastructural facilities negatively affects effective management of secondary schools, when the number of buildings available in the school is small compared to the number of students supposed to fill in the buildings, these leads to overcrowding and when students are overpopulated comfort and hygiene are not guaranteed, the same applies to the laboratory, library and its materials. Some of the respondents stated that some of the buildings within their schools are dilapidated and these impede teaching. This finding is supported by Chidobi (2015) report when he posited that lack of facilities hinders effective administration within the school.

In table five, the results indicated that the use of Information Communication Technology facilities have a great impact on the effective management of secondary schools, it was discovered that ICT facilities enhances the professional development of teachers through digitalised libraries and internet resources which them abreast of new knowledge, pedagogical ideas and current resources in their specialisation. The study also revealed that the unavailability of internet resources affects the quality of school leavers since most of their teachers are far from pedagogical ideas in their specialisation. These findings are in accordance with the findings of Adomi and Kpangban (2010) when they opined that ICT has the capacity to provide higher interactive potentials for use, helping to develop their intellectual, individual and creative ability.

By Emmyleo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.