effects of Electromagnetic Field

Effects of Electromagnetic Field on Human Health

CHAPTER FOUR

DATA ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION OF RESULTS

Effects of Electromagnetic Field on Human Health is very enormous as this had an adverse effect on the body if not properly take care of. There is no iota of doubt that when someone is exposed to electromagnetic, he or she stands the risk of  endangering his or her health as electromagnetic is harmful to the body.

Examples or sources of electromagnetic field include the following mobile phone propularly known as handset or telephone, or powerline (this is the power that supply other peoples in the environmnet light which can be used in many houses for different functions like washing of clothes through washing machine, viewing of movie, cooking through electric gas cooker)

       This chapter critically analyzed the data collected from the field in the study area. A total of 100 questionnaires were administered to the respondents in Adeyemi College of Education . The questionnaire was designed to investigate the awareness of the effects of Electromagnetic Field on Human Health using Ondo West Local Government Area in Ondo State. The Questionnaires were responded to by the students and data collected were gathered for use by the researcher. Data were analyzed using simple percentage method.

4.1       Research Question Analysis

Research Questions 1: Does Electromagnetic field has effect on human health?

Table 1

S/N Items SA (%) A (%) D (%) SD (%)
1 Electronic gadgets contribute to electromagnetic radiation. 17 73 10 0
2 Waves from mobile phones can affect the human health 61 24 10 5
3 Waves from our electrical appliances is one of the major causes of cancer 30 52 11 7
4 Waves from our mobile phones has a huge effect on our mental health 5 47 33 15
5 Radiation from power-lines are harmful to the body 58 13 17 12

 

            Table 1 shows that 90% of the respondents agreed that electronic gadgets contribute to electromagnetic radiation while 10% disagreed to that, 85% of the respondents opined that waves from mobile phones affect human health while 15% of the respondents kicked against that, 82% of the respondents agreed that waves from electrical appliances prove to be one of the major causes of cancer while the remaining 18% were of a contrary opinion. 52% of the total number of respondents are in line with the opinion that waves emitted from our mobile phones has a huge effect on our mental health while the remaining 48% disagreed, 71% agreed that radiation from power lines are harmful to the body but the remaining 29% disagreed to that.

Research Questions 2: What are factors contributing to the effect of electromagnetic field on human health

Table 2

S/N Items SA(%) A (%) D(%) SD(%)
1 Electronic gadgets are part of our daily life 67 33 0 0
2 I cannot do without my mobile phone for a day 62 5 18 15
3 I keep my phone close to myself even when charging it 15 50 15 20
4 I make calls with my phone while charging 35 25 13 27

 

            Table 2 above shows that 100% of the respondents agreed that electronic gadgets are part of our daily life, 67% of the respondents are of the opinion that they cannot do without their mobile phone for a day while the remaining 33% do not agree to that, 65% of the respondents agreed that they keep their mobile phones close to them even when charging but the remaining 35% kicked against that, 60% of the total number of respondents opined that they make calls with their phones while charging but the remaining 40% disagreed.

 READ ALSO: YOUTH: WHY WASTE?

 

Research Questions 3: What are the long terms and short term effects of Electromagnetic field on human health?

Table 3

S/N Items SA(%) A (%) D(%) SD(%)
1 Excessive usage of electronic gadgets are doing more harm than good to our health 12 58 10 20
2 After usage of electronic gadgets for a long we tend to feel tiredness and fatigue 37 43 6 14
3 Heat from electronic gadgets like our mobile phones, computers etc., are harmful to our health 81 11 4 4
4 Radiation from electronic gadgets can affect male fertility 20 51 20 9
5 Electromagnetic radiation is one of the main causes of tumors 15 60 8 17
6 Continuous exposure to radiation from an electromagnetic source can lead to the central nervous system disorder 9 21 36 34

 

Table 3 shows that 70% of the respondents agreed that excessive usage of electronic gadgets are doing more harm than good to human health while the remaining 30% kicked against that, 80% of the respondents are of the opinion that long time continuous usage of electronic gadgets leads to tiredness and fatigue while 20% disagreed to that, 92% of the respondents  agreed that the heat from electronic gadgets like our mobile phones, computers etc. are harmful to human health while the remaining 8%  do not agree to that. 71% of the total number of respondents agreed that radiation from electronic gadgets affect male fertility while the remaining 29% disagreed to that, 75% of the respondents agreed that electromagnetic radiation is one of the main causes of tumors  and the remaining 25% disagreed to that, 30% of the respondents agreed to the fact that continuous exposure to radiation from an electromagnetic source can lead to the central nervous system disorder but the remaining 70% were of contrary opinion.

4.2       Discussion of Findings

The data presentation in table 1 indicates that electromagnetic radiation has adverse effects on human health and it emanates through our mobile devices, personal computers even power lines.

Table 2 helps in determining the factors contributing to the effect of electromagnetic radiation on human health, as electronic gadgets in today’s world has become something we can hardly do without. Hence, the tendency for increase in electromagnetic related illnesses as most of these devices are responsible for emanating these waves.

Table 3 talks about the long and short term effects of electromagnetic radiation on human health, it talks about the excessive usage of electronic gadgets which tends to affects the body system. It also emphasizes on the effect of the heat waves on male fertility, the level of exposure to radiation from any electromagnetic source also affects the central nervous system.

Electronic gadget did more harm than good because when children become addicted to it, it affects them negatively, they remained glued to the screen, it cause obesity which made children to become fast unnecessarily. The children tends not to relate with people which makes the children declining in the development of social area and this in turn makes the child have a constraints in emotional development. This development does not only relate to children also adults is even included.

By Emmyleo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.